Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Reflection

Writing Reflection
            At the beginning of the school year I was very apprehensive towards this course. I never believed that my writing was as strong as it needed to be because in previous courses during high school (such as AP Literature), I only ever received average B’s on my papers. Now I know that a B is a score to proud of but, because I am a perfectionist, I always strove to get an A on my essays. Moving forward a year, I’m a college student at the University of Michigan-Dearborn and my homework assignments are more extensive than ever, so you can only imagine how nervous I was to start my first year of college. 
            Composition 105, being my very first English/Writing course, has taught me a lot about myself as a student. I learned that I have plenty of time to plan out my written work to ensure that I come up with the best ideas possible. Coming from a time where assignments were due the next day, it took me awhile to adjust to my new schedule. Along with that, the essay lengths doubled which meant I had to switch gears and fast. It wasn’t easy, but this year, I’m extremely proud of myself as a writer. I went from getting middle average B’s on papers to B+/A’s which in the grand scheme of thing, boosted my confidence level tremendously. I feel like all the hours I put into each essay that I wrote over the course of the semester was worth it in the end and I’m proud of how far I made it.
            Referring back to this final paper specifically, I noticed that the writing process became a lot easier than when I wrote my first paper. I went from fragmented thoughts and misplaced semicolons, to a well-organized, thoughtfully reflected piece of written work. In writing this, I truly realized that the world is bigger than I imagined and that it’s important escape being ignorant and arrogant to the people and the places around you. I too find myself searching for more ways for me to be more involved socially in my community so one day I can be like the great Martin Luther King Jr. or Benazir Bhutto. But who knows if I can make it to such a grand scale? 
            Lastly, I would like to thank you personally, Professor Darling, for letting me write about topics that, although still pertained to what we covered in class, I was passionate in and felt like I needed to share with you. It was a wonderful learning experience witnessing the lives of past figures and how they went from nothing to something and I like to think that I can be like that too one day. I hope that one day, after reading about the horrible things that have happened and are still happening in this world, that as people of the society we can make a difference and affect the lives of millions…But I guess that’s why we’re all in college right?

No comments:

Post a Comment